Life has its phases, and for men, one of them is andropause, often dubbed “male menopause.” This shift comes with a dip in testosterone levels, which triggers a range of changes. Among these, hair loss can be a real concern. Fortunately, there’s an exciting solution on the horizon: microneedling.
Andropause and Hair Loss: Understanding the Connection
Andropause, much like what women experience in menopause, is a natural slowdown in male hormone production, particularly testosterone. This shift can lead to all sorts of undesired changes, from less muscle mass to shifts in mood and energy. By far, the most concerning symptom for many men is thinning hair and the onset of male pattern baldness.
DHT and Hair Loss: Unmasking the Culprit
Meet DHT, the main player behind andropause-related hair loss. This sneaky compound is a byproduct of testosterone and can cling to hair follicles, causing them to shrink and eventually stop producing hair. This process, known as miniaturization, is a common factor in male pattern baldness.
Microneedling: A Beacon of Hope for Hair Regrowth
Microneedling, also known as collagen induction therapy, is very effective at combatting hair loss. It’s a simple, minimally invasive procedure that involves a nifty tool with tiny needles. These little needles create micro-injuries on the scalp’s surface, setting off your body’s natural healing process, which also thickens and regrows hair follicles.
How Microneedling Works for Hair Regrowth
- Boosting blood flow: Microneedling significantly increases your scalp’s blood circulation. This means your hair follicles get the nutrients and oxygen they need to grow stronger and healthier.
- Collagen and Growth Factors: Those micro-injuries? They’re like a wake-up call for collagen, a protein that’s a big deal for hair health. Plus, they send growth factors into action, encouraging cell growth and tissue repair.
- Taking on DHT: Microneedling can help break down excess DHT buildup around hair follicles, potentially slowing down miniaturization, and thus, hair loss.
The Microneedling Process: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Consultation: Start off on the right foot by consulting with one of our Naturopathic Doctors.
- The Procedure: This is where the magic happens. Specialized microneedling tools create tiny, controlled injuries on your scalp. Microneedling is paired with specially formulated topicals which enhance the efficacy of microneedling. You’ll also be given a hair serum to use on a nightly basis which will enhance the effectiveness of the treatment.
- Heal and Repeat: Expect a bit of redness and swelling, but don’t worry – it’s all part of the process and will resolve within 48 hours. Each session will be spaced out by 1 week.
- Full Naturopathic Care: Sage clinic offers full naturopathic support for hair loss. Aside from microneedling, this includes, dietary recommendations, exercises, and a personalized supplement regimen.
Andropause might bring changes, but it doesn’t have to mean waving goodbye to your hair. Microneedling could be the ticket to reclaiming a full head of hair. You can book a free discovery call to learn more.
Dr. Sanam Arora, ND