Food for your HEART!
Moroccan Chicken Stew
Our heart healthy chicken stew recipe includes four superfood ingredients: coconut oil, turmeric, cinnamon and unpasteurized local honey (available at health food stores or local farmers’ markets). We serve it on a bed of cooked grains (basmati rice, quinoa or millet) and garnish it with shredded or large-flaked coconut.
Here is the detailed recipe:
INGREDIENTS FOR 4 SERVINGS
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 10 ozs Chicken Breast (skinless, boneless, diced into chunks)
- 2 Yellow Onion (medium, diced)
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 1/2 tsps Sea Salt
- 3 Tomato (large, diced)
- 1/2 cup Parsley (finely chopped and divided)
- 2 tbsps Raw Honey
- 1/3 cup Raisins
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a large pot or saucepan. Add chicken, onion, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, cayenne and salt. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes, half the parsley, honey and raisins. Cover and cook for another 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thick.
- Uncover and serve immediately. Garnish with remaining parsley. Enjoy!
Serve it With
Crusty bread, brown or white rice, quinoa, brown rice tortillas, roasted squash or sweet potato.
Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 3 days, or freeze if longer.
Make it Vegan or Vegetarian
Use chickpeas instead of chicken and maple syrup instead of honey.
Make it with dried apricots, prunes or chopped figs.
By Marianna Duba, M.Sc.
Holistic Nutritionist at Sage Naturopathic Clinic