While summer typically involves tons of fun, spontaneity, and adventure, it can also mean a loss of routine, irregular eating, and lots of indulging. Oftentimes returning to school can be a good opportunity to reintroduce some health-supportive habits, or begin incorporating some efforts for the first time. When it comes to supplementation, being selective is always best, especially when it comes to kids. The following are 3 baseline supplements that have broad-acting effects to support general wellbeing in children, predominantly for digestive, immune, mood, and nervous system support – all of which can play a large role in supporting your child’s health and happiness.
- Supports the health of our gut which is critical for overall health – It all begins in the gut!
- Helps regulate immune and nervous system function as well as mood
- It is hard to get the healthy bacteria we need through our diet and environment because of modern food practices and sterilization
- Could be multi-strain or strain specific depending on desired effect.
- Essential in so many processes, including the modulation of our immune cells and neurotransmitter activity
- More time spent indoors means less exposure to sunlight which is necessary for production of vitamin D – fall is a good time to start supplementing
- Always best to test and not guess to determine baseline and appropriate dosage
- Great source of omega-3 fatty acids which help modulate the immune system and support mood
- DHA specifically is crucial for brain development and function in children
- Typical dosage is 500-1000mg per day.
Dr. Danielle DeBlock received her undergraduate degree at the University of Western Ontario in 2013, where she completed a Specialization in Environmental Science and a Major in Biological Sciences. She then attended the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine and graduated with a Doctor of Naturopathy Degree in 2018... About Danielle