By Dr. Danielle DeBlock, ND
While summer typically involves tons of fun, spontaneity, and adventure, it can also mean a loss of routine, irregular eating, and lots of indulging. Often times returning to school can be a good opportunity to reintroduce some health-supportive habits, or begin incorporating some efforts for the first time. When it comes to supplementation, being selective is always best, especially when it comes to kids. The following are 3 baseline supplements that have broad-acting effects to support general wellbeing in children, predominantly for digestive, immune, mood, and nervous system support – all of which can play a large role in supporting your child’s health and happiness J
- Supports the health of our gut which is critical for overall health – It all begins in the gut!
- Helps regulate immune and nervous system function as well as mood
- Hard to get the healthy bacteria we need through our diet and environment because of modern food practices and sterilization
- Should be multi-strain and have at least 10000 CFU
- Vitamin D
- Essential in so many processes, including the modulation of our immune cells and neurotransmitter activity
- More time spent indoors means less exposure to sunlight which is necessary for production of vitamin D – fall is a good time to start supplementing
- Always best to test and not guess to determine baseline and appropriate dosage
- Fish oil
- Great source of omega-3 fatty acids which help modulate the immune system and support mood
- DHA specifically is crucial for brain development and function
Typical dosage is 500-1000mg per day.
Dr. Danielle DeBlock received her undergraduate degree at the University of Western Ontario in 2013, where she completed a Specialization in Environmental Science and a Major in Biological Sciences. She then attended the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine and graduated with a Doctor of Naturopathy Degree in 2018. She became a licensed and board-certified Naturopathic Doctor after completing exams through the North American Board of Naturopathic Examiners and the College of Naturopaths of Ontario.
Dr. Danielle’s passion for naturopathic medicine is rooted in her passion for sustainable living and holistic wellbeing. She believes that every human is unique and shaped differently by their own lived experiences, and, as such, believes each person’s journey to health and wellness requires unique consideration and exploration.
To book an appointment with her, click here